As holiday travel approaches, you’ll want to be sure your home is prepared for your absence. Loss control experts recommend the following to keep your home safe and worry free:
- Turn off the water supply to your washing machine, refrigerator/ice maker, and toilets.
- Install several light timers to go on and off in different rooms at various times. Consider putting a radio on a timer as well.
- Have a neighbor or relative pick up your mail. If you will be absent more than a week, have the post office stop delivery.
- Lock up. Almost half the burglaries committed occur where a door or window has been left unlocked.
- Wedge a rod between the door and frame of a sliding door.
- Never leave a spare key hidden near your door.
- Don’t put your name and address on luggage tags; they can be interpreted as signals of your absence from home. Use a business address instead.
- Unplug electrical appliances such as televisions, microwaves, and computers. This will protect them in case of an electrical storm.
Planning and preparing for your time away will give you peace of mind so you can enjoy your holiday travels!
Source: Central Insurance