Is it time for Winter Storm 2012? It’s February in Central Texas, and on any given year, we may get a Texas storm that freezes our roads for a day or more. We want Georgetown and Austin-area drivers to be prepared to drive safely in icy conditions. (It’s more important in our warm climate because a lot of drivers do not have experience driving in these conditions.)
When driving in winter weather conditions:
- Take care pulling out of streets and give cars plenty of time to slow down or stop.
- Watch more closely for runners and walkers – our active Central Texas lifestyle means people get their exercise even on the coldest days, and sidewalks may not be clear.
- Take corners carefully – not too tightly.
- Does your car have anti-lock brakes? Do NOT pump your brakes on an ice patch. Let the anti-lock mechanism take over.
- Older car without anti-lock brakes? Pump them gently to prevent wheels from locking.
- Back your car into the driveway so you have better vision when pulling out.
(Sources: Texas Department of Insurance and Insurance Information Institute)