MONDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2012
When you are involved in an accident, it is an overwhelming and confusing experience. It may be hard to keep a level head and take the appropriate steps to make sure everyone is safe and the facts are documented. Keep these tips in your glove compartment as a guide should you be involved in an auto accident.
- Aid the Injured
- Don't move injured individuals unless absolutely necessary.
- Warn other drivers.
- Call the Police
- Give the exact location and advise if medical help is needed.
- Write down the name and badge number of police who assist you. Are they state or local police, or the county sheriff's deputies?
- Was anyone given a ticket? If so, who?
- Was anyone injured? If so, obtain facts about the injured person(s) (step 5).
- Record Facts about YOUR Vehicle
- Date, time, and location of accident.
- Driver's name, age, address, and telephone number.
- Name of driver's employer.
- Nature of damage to your vehicle.
- Obtain Facts about OTHER Vehicle(s)
- Driver's name, address, and telephone number.
- Make and year of vehicle, license number, and registration number.
- Insurance company's name, address, and telephone number.
- Nature of damage to the other vehicle(s).
- Obtain Facts about Injured Person(s)
- Name, age, address, and nature of injury of anyone injured.
- Was injured in policyholder's vehicle, in other vehicle, or a pedestrian?
- Nature of injury.
- Where were they taken or treated?
- Record Facts about Other Property Damaged (Non-Vehicles)
- Property owner's name, address, and telephone number.
- Object damaged.
- Nature of damage.
- Record Facts about Witnesses
- Get the name, address, and telephone numbers of at least two people who saw the accident.
- Describe the Accident
- Describe what happened and draw a complete diagram of the area showing your vehicle and other vehicles involved.
- Indicate North direction.
- Include the city and state, as well as street or highway number.
- Call Your Agent or Insurance Company Representative
Article Source: http://www.central-insurance.com
Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)
All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only.
It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional
in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between
you and the blog and website publisher.